We know we’re no food blog, but who can resist a good cocktail pairing? That’s why we’ve started this Candles + Cocktails series, where we will work our way through each of our candles (limited edition, seasonal, and all) to craft a perfect drink you will feel confident serving as an accent to the candle you have burning.
To kick off the series, we have a twist on a fan-favorite: a Mandarin Orange Margarita. Just because summer is over, doesn’t mean margaritas are going out of style. You cannot take our tequila from us! Margaritas are delicious year-round, and who ever says otherwise is not the kind of person you need in your life, plain and simple.
This Mandarin Orange Margarita pairs perfectly with our Mandarin + Resins candle, highlighting the citrus-forward scent and tangy under notes. The best part? You don’t need to be a bartender to make this. It’s simple, easy, yet bound to impress your tastebuds and whoever else you have over.
Enough of this intro. Let’s get to the recipe, shall we?
What You’ll Need
- Cocktail shaker
- Tequila (gold or silver, but absolutely no plastic bottles allowed)
- Mandarin oranges (a five-pound bag of Cuties should do!)
- Orange liqueur (Cointreau preferably, but Triple Sec will also work)
- Fresh limes
- Margarita Salt
- Pink peppercorn
What You’ll Do
- First, you’ll need to make the mandarin orange simple syrup needed for the drink.
- Combine 1 cup sugar, 1 cup water, and ¾ cup fresh mandarin orange juice in a pot on the stove on medium heat.
- Stir constantly until sugar dissolves and then stir for a couple minutes more.
- Remove pot from heat and let cool. Once cooled, pour mixture into a jar or bottle and place in fridge for extra cooling.
- This simple syrup will last 5-7 days in your fridge.
- Once the mandarin orange simple syrup has been made and cooled, you’re ready to get started on the drink.
- Pour 3 ounces of tequila, 1.5 ounces of mandarin orange simple syrup, 1 ounce of orange liqueur, and the juice of half a lime into a shaker with ice.
- Shake what your momma gave you (and shake the shaker while you’re at it!)
- Pour margarita salt onto a small plate and crack fresh pink peppercorn into the salt and mix.
- Rub a lime wedge along the rim of your glass.
- Dip your glass rim into the salt and pink peppercorn mixture.
- Add ice into your glass.
- Pour margarita from the shaker into your glass.
- Garnish with a lime wedge or a mandarin orange wedge (or both!)
Trust us, this recipe is a tried-and-true favorite. It’s just as delicious as it sounds. The only other thing we would suggest is adding a little bit of fresh jalapeño if spice is your jam! Otherwise, you have a perfectly refreshing spin on a classic margarita that pairs perfectly with your Mandarin + Resins candle. Who says cocktail hour has to wait until 5pm?